Saturday, September 24, 2011

The American Dream...Do we need to re-think that?

The American Dream…Do we need to re-think that?

Recently I’ve been hearing politicians talk more and more about it-The American Dream of owning your own home. Is this really the great American Dream? Hey, far be it from me to talk, I’m going to be on a renovation television show but I still have to wonder about that dream. Can’t we dream of something more than a house?

Ok…here’s where I’m coming from. Since living in Los Angeles-this time-I’ve been working as an assistant. My previous boss...a woman living in Montecito lived in a pretty nice place…her neighbor was Oprah, if that tells you anything. The man before her lived in Brentwood in an 8-thousand square foot gloriously, fantastic architectural beauty. Now let me tell you where they spent most of their time.

1. The woman-in a little office attached to her garage.

2. The man-well, he used to spend much of his time in a little office, separate from most of the other rooms in the house-until that is, the FBI stormed his place, confiscated all of his computers and he fled to Thailand!

Yes…that’s a true story and if I had more time I would elaborate but I want to finish this thought. If you’re dying to hear the rest of the story we’re going to have to go get coffee…better yet a drink.

Now…back to the American Dream. First, let me say-I’m all for buying a house. I’m a huge advocate of it and I think it’s about the best investment you can make…but does all of your money and time go into it? Do you live in a place that is so overwhelming because of it’s sheer size it gives you anxiety? In all of the 8-thousand square feet my former boss-now fugitive-lived in, he spent more time in his office-probably a mere 100 square feet than any other room in the mansion and he was full of rage, spite, greed and envy. All of that beauty didn’t help him feel any better about himself, life or people in general. But wait. I should rephrase that. I’m sure he enjoyed himself for the first couple months, kinda how I enjoyed having an office at the beach. I literally watched dolphins play every morning as I sipped my coffee and listened to the waves. It was glorious…well, until he walked in the door-then it was all downhill from there. This picture was taken on the balcony of my office. We had to rush in and out and take the pic before the boss returned.

I couldn’t wait to leave that super cool, modern oasis at the beach and come home to my little house, with no view but an amazing husband and two pups! Another true story…straight from my heart to yours. Speaking of our place...since this crazy renovation our bedroom has become the real oasis. It's the only place to go to get away from the dust!

I say all of this because I think we can do better. Maybe change that dream from owning a home to spending more time with our kids. Chucking the commute and living in a smaller place closer to work so you can actually have time with your family. How about selling that mega mansion (not now-when the market gets better) that sucks not only your energy but wayyyy too much green energy and trade it in for something a bit more cozy?

I guess all of this has been on my mind because I see how much maintenance it takes to just keep up with a tiny little place let alone a massive home on acreage. I mean…some of these places in Beverly Hills, Montecito,etc...spend more taking care of their lawns than most people make in a week-I’m not exaggerating…it’s hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars.

Now…this is all relative. I mean, people could say the same thing about me-just on a smaller scale. I probably spend, on average-ten dollars a week on coffee. That’s 40 a month and almost 500 a year. Many of you would say that’s ridiculous, while others would laugh that I even mention it.

Thanks for staying with me-it was long I know, but very therapeutic for myself and I hope it gave you some food for thought. I need reminding of this-especially when I’m knee deep in drywall dust.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment