Friday, July 8, 2011

Jaycee Dugard Interview: Diane Sawyer Speaks Candidly With Survivor

I just watched a heart wrenching piece on Jaycee Dugard, the now 30 year old that was abducted from her own school bus stop when she was 11.

I don't know if you remember the story, but Diane Sawyer interviewed her recently about how she was raped and imprisoned for eighteen years by a known sex offender. Dugard was finally rescued in 2009 and is telling her story. Here's a clip about how she gave birth alone.



So...this story is horrifying but how Jaycee is coping with it is remarkable. Sawyer says she is matter a fact about all of the things that happened to her and refuses to let her abductor get the best of her. It is a life lesson for all of us. I feel like I would just sit and cry...but I hope I would react the way she is, tough-assertive and ready to live her life.

I think if we ponder her story a bit it can give us all the courage to step out and do something we may either be afraid of doing...or what we've always thought we wanted to do. When I think of all she endured...starting a business seems trivial. I mean, I write and ramble about things in Los Angeles or us having problems with a programmer or whatever...and she was just trying to stay alive. I think it's about perspective and it's always good to get a little perspective. So if you're having a bad day....or things just aren't going your way-try and look at it from a global vantage point.

I'm not saying how you're feeling isn't valid. Your emotions are valid, regardless of circumstances. My husband taught me that...and I love him for it. If you're confused by that, let me explain. Just because the cares you have aren't steeped in tragedy doesn't mean the way you feel about them isn't important. We can't help the way we feel, so own your feelings, deal with your problems and don't be too hard on yourself!

Right now we're really trying to finish up our eBook, Bedtime Bunny Tales in time to have it ready for the BlogHer Conference. Like I said, it isn't a tragedy but it would really help us to spread the word if it was actually finished. We got it back from the programmers last night and it looks amazing. There were a lot of grammatical errors but the functionality was spot on. I wish you could see it!

So...whether it be a life or death issue...or just a computer glitch, whatever you are struggling through today...keep your chin up-we're all in this together.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment