Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Choosing good role models...

Today my boss says to me..."oh Tim Tebow is on the radio-he's such a good man." I reply with..."ah, I don't care much about athletes." Then I watched an interview with this 23 yr. old football star and had to recant my answer. Tebow grew up a missionary kid and spent some of his childhood in the Philippines. Now he supports 6-hundred orphans at the orphanage his parents help build. Uh...ok, he's a role model. But...not many professional athletes can say the same.

I'm not trying to be a hater but I've always wondered why parent's encourage their kids to look up to athletes or/and celebrities. I know, everyone thinks they're great-but I've been around a lot of athletes and they are kids who can throw a ball. A lot of them aren't good role models and don't really want to be.It's actually unfair to make them something they never signed up to be. Celebrities...well, they're actors or they've made a sex tape or something...what the what?!?!
Anyway...I'm just saying-choose your role models wisely. Sam attends a meeting every other Saturday and the founder of Tom's Shoes was the speaker. This guy started a company that helps needy children all over the world. You buy a pair of shoes-he gives one away. Cool concept...cool guy=role model. And...for you single ladies he's not bad on the eyes.


I drove by Tom's Headquarters today...and I thought, I think this is what I'm giving for Christmas this year. Hope you like them...

No comments:

Post a Comment