Thursday, June 30, 2011

Baby Ban in First Class...

First class passengers flying Malaysia Airlines won't have to bother with earplugs anymore...well, when it comes to crying babies that is. After many complaints from passengers who spend big bucks on the posh seating...the company decided to make the ban it's official policy.

So...this is a conversation. Tell me what you think.

First, I want to let you in on a secret. My hubby Sam is the baby whisperer. Regardless of where we go...if there's a baby/toddler anywhere near him they are transfixed on his face. He jokes that it is his big ears...but he doesn't look like Dumbo or anything...so I have to argue that! Maybe it's his blue eyes...his baby face...I don't know-but if you ever see us in an airport and you're worried about your kid acting up on the plane...just hand her/him to Sam! Actually, the last time we flew there was a toddler in front of us that wasn't having a good day and instead of using Sam using his baby powers...he handed her his iPad. It worked...for awhile.

I guess preparation for anything is key...and until (when or if) that ban reaches our American Airlines I think it's important to know all you can when it comes to traveling with your child. Did you know there's a family/medical/liquid lane that you can access when you are going through security at the airport? Look for the signs...then you won't need to worry about holding up impatient travelers standing behind you. I found a couple more tips that may help when you are busy traveling with your baby.
  • Allow plenty of time at the airport for check-in, and connecting flights. Remember how much longer it takes to achieve anything with kids in tow and apply the same formula to your travel plans.

  • Smile sweetly and helplessly at everyone and you may get help and be able to queue jump - 'always keep the lid on your blender'.

  • Ask if your flight is full when checking in. Some assistants will block out the seat next to you in a less full flight or offer you the option of seating next to a vacant seat. This is particularly valuable if traveling with a toddler under 24months without a seat.

  • Get on the plane first and off the plane last to get a better chance of assistance from cabin crew.

I like that third tip...yeah! If you travel often...I am a huge fan of my American Express Delta Card. I've received a couple first class upgrades...without asking...I get to use the priority lane, I get a free companion ticket each year and I get double points when I book my ticket using the card. Ok...neither of those companies paid me to say that....just an FYI...and I am a HUGE fan!!

No comments:

Post a Comment