Monday, June 20, 2011

Father's Day is over but many of the memories remain. Most of us choose to capture those little bits of time by snapping a photograph...while others write, some fight and well, many of us just look at the pictures and remember. Yesterday our family got together at my dad's favorite pizza joint. Yes, it's a pizza "joint", an Ohio bar with pie as heavenly as you can find...at least that's what papa thinks (and I happen to agree). I of course missed the celebration...being I'm in Los Angeles and the rest of the gang is back home...but thanks to my sissy's handy dandy iPhone she keeps me well supplied with good pics!

Anyway...while I was perusing Facebook yesterday I was amazed, perplexed, vexed and downright angered at some of the posts regarding dear ol' dad. Some people posted their thoughts as if they were sending a message to their long lost fathers, while others celebrated their one and only while others asked for supernatural abilities to help them...this is the one that really irked me. In my opinion...and in the opinion of one poll my priest quoted in service yesterday...there is nothing super natural about just showing up. According to the poll I mentioned the number one response to the question...["what do you think of when someone says
"dad" the overwhelming answer was "absent"]. Really? Absent? Like I said before, there's nothing supernatural about just being there. Kids need their dads and even if you don't have any money, power or fame they will appreciate the time you carve out to spend with them...believe me-time is love.

Grandpa Bunny...the main character in our app for kids is the father figure many kids are lacking. It's a shame that such an app needs to be made but more and more children are being raised by single parents...so we hope our character can give just a little comfort to a little guy or gal who misses his papa. For a sweet little story about becoming a father check out this article...

http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/17/becoming-a-father/#more-23401












No comments:

Post a Comment