Friday, June 17, 2011

Father's Day...are dads more involved today than in the past?

In honor of dear ol' dad...this post's for you!

Father's Day, Mother's Day...pretty much all of the holidays conjure up emotions, whether they be good or bad, sweet or sour, something stirs inside us.

For me...this is a good one. Actually, I hold dear every holiday and it's not just because of the presents or food or any of that good stuff, I think I like them so much because I have fond memories of our family being together. I'm the only sibling of 4 to venture from home so I have to rely on technology to keep me close while all of the rest of the gang hangs out at someone's house. Since the dawn of summer that respective house is usually my sisters. She has a pool and if any of you grew up in the south or the mid west you know how important a nice cool dip can be after a long day in the sweltering heat. She provides that respite for many a family member as well as scores of neighbors friends and associates. Alas, I digress...back to dear ol' dad.

According to http://pewsocialtrends.org/2011/06/15/a-tale-of-two-fathers/

More dads are involved in the everyday raising of children while there are more fathers who are separated from their kids. In other words, the dads who are around are involved...while those who don't live with their kids are simply absent. Good news and sad news. Do you know a father who is around? A guy who is invested in his child's life?

When I sat down to write today I was thinking of all the apps for kids that involve a father figure. Maybe an eBook or a game...but I decided to focus on the real-the true and the HUMAN! Ha!
Since working on Bedtime Bunny Tales I can get pretty focused on stories and technology but I think we can all agree there's no replacing papa! Thus...I picked a guy to highlight that is a real and present father. I introduced his son a couple of days ago...but today is dedicated to him and all the other dads out there who are spending their time, money and resources on the most important thing in the world...their babies!

The guy is Tommy Heath. He and my sister Holly were high school sweet hearts and Christian is their son, my nephew. He is the little dare devil I described in my previous post. He and Tommy go hunting together, ride four wheelers, swim and anything and everything else you could dream of. They are like two peas in a pod...a relationship I would have loved to have had with my papa. My dad is a good guy and he was a great provider...but we didn't "hang out" together. I think it was his generation and the notion that mothers raised kids and dads just went to work. I'm glad that worn out belief is fading away. Fathers are soooooo important and I'm still hoping I can get my dad to ride a roller coaster with me! I'm just thankful that he's still around and I still have the opportunity to talk him into some things! Tell me about your dad...

Happy Father's Day....

2 comments:

  1. Sissy, I am crying! I can't wait to read this to Tommy;) Thank you! He really is a great dad, husband and man! Now maybe when your home in August I would
    like to be on that roller coaster with my sissy and dad;) I love you Ang!

    ReplyDelete