Tuesday, June 28, 2011

No "Him or Her" Non Gender parenting...

So...as we continue to work on our app for toddlers...Bedtime Bunny Tales I'm wondering if we are being too "gender specific" with Grandpa Bunny and all...

Just in case you didn't know...I'm kidding. I love both genders...male and female and I think both bring a lot to the table.

As I continue to research what mommies and daddies are talking about when it comes to their toddlers I've noticed this is a topic that's on the minds of many. My husband just sent me this article about how one Swedish Preschool is trying to eliminate any use of feminine or masculine in their vocabulary, steering clear of the typical dolls for girls, trucks for boys, etc...etc.
Here's the link to the article http://beta.news.yahoo.com/no-him-her-preschool-fights-gender-bias-122541829.html

This, to me...will never work.

Number one...fighting gender bias isn't helped when you eliminate it altogether. Men and women, boys and girls are different, plain and simple. At this preschool they want all the boys and girls to play with the same toys, the little oven right alongside the building blocks. That's fine...but let me warn you...it's only a matter of time until one of those little guys picks up one of the cooking utensils and turns it into a sword! I don't think you can program kids into doing anything...their natural inclination will win every time.

Yes...some girls would rather climb trees while some little boys would rather play with dolls...but you can't make any of them do what they don't naturally gravitate toward. That's the art of playing. It's make believe and regardless of what toy you give them their imagination will take over and make it into whatever they want it to be!!

If you don't know me...I've been a warrior for breaking down stereotypes my whole life. I love to do things that people don't expect a woman to do...but these things aren't "for women only" or "for men only"...they are just things I wanted to do. I think too often we buy into cultural stereotypes instead of God given talents and abilities.

I grew up playing with Barbies...I loved Barbies and my biggest dream was to have the Barbie Mansion and convertible. I also climbed trees, played football and later joined the Army Reserve. In fact...I was the first woman from my unit to graduate Drill Sgt. School. I also placed first in an Army obstacle course beating out about 30 other male competitors. OH...did I mention I love a good main-pedi and I am a sucker for all things beautiful?!?!

Inspire your kids...love them and help them to grow. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment